Table of Contents
- 1. How to tell if leather is real by 6 tips
- 1.1. How to tell if leather is real by the appearance
- 1.2. How to tell if leather is real by smelling it
- 1.3. How to tell if leather is real by burning it
- 1.4. How to tell if leather is real by watering it
- 1.5. How to tell if leather is real by cutting it
- 1.6. How to tell if leather is real by dipping it with needle
- 2. How to tell if leather is real: The preservation
Have you been wondering how to tell if leather is real? A real leather item will not only elevate your look but also long lasting. By reading this post, you will be a leather professional.
1. How to tell if leather is real by 6 tips
It is important to know how to tell if leather is real or fake before purchasing one. Therefore, there it is: some guidance for you to be clearer to this concern.
1.1. How to tell if leather is real by the appearance
You can tell real leather immediately by looking at it with your bare eyes. This is one of the easiest ways to know.
A real leather product will have pores, uneven patterns and is smooth, while fake leather will appear with the precise patterns and is rough.
- On the surface of fake leather there will usually be a plastic coat layer and fibrous piece, which cannot be found in real leather.
- On the back surface, real leather will usually have a cuticle layer which is different from a smooth texture of fake leather.
1.2. How to tell if leather is real by smelling it
Of course, if you are sensitive to smell, you can distinguish the difference right away.
- Real leather has a stale, vague odor and sweet smell since it is from nature.
- Fake leather smells like chemicals from the factory or plastics.
Wondering how to store leather bags? Look through the blog to find the way to store leather bags at home!
Prevent Wasting Money With How To Store Leather Bags
The 15 Leather Backpack Purse Worth Trying For Women
1.3. How to tell if leather is real by burning it
This test is one of the most common, but only should it be tested on a small piece of leather. Plus, always be careful with fire!
- Real leather can have a burnt hair smell after being let on fire, while fake leather will have a plastic smell.
- Real leather will not burn after being light for a few seconds, whereas fake leather will alight right away.
1.4. How to tell if leather is real by watering it
Instead of using fire, water is an alternative option. The amount of water needed is equal to a water bottle lid.
Real leather will absorb moisture but fake leather is waterproof. Remember to keep an eye on your leather bags or purses whenever it rains.
- After absorbing water, you can see the piece of real leather is wet on both sides.
- You can easily see that real leather will absorb water in some minutes, while fake leather is 100% waterproof.
1.5. How to tell if leather is real by cutting it
Another test for you! You should only use this way on your obsolete items in order not to feel regret.
- When cutting real leather, there will usually be some fibers left on the edge of where it was cut.
- When cutting fake leather, you can cut it smoothly.
1.6. How to tell if leather is real by dipping it with needle
This is the last test. All you need is a needle and a small piece of leather.
- Real leather is not easily dipped with needles, while fake leather is.
- By dipping your leather item with a needle, you can see that real leather is thicker than fake leather, which is hard to measure just by using hands.
2. How to tell if leather is real: The preservation
Your leather blongings need to be safeguarded if they’re to last. Therefore, we hope that the tips we’ve given will enable you to take good care of your leather bags.
- You can answer how to tell if leather is real by keeping your leather items dry and away from moisture by storing it in a box with some moisture-proof packing materials. By doing so, you can stop mold from growing on it.
- Knowing how to tell if leather is real by rubbing leather items with herbal oil periodically. The reason is after absorbing water, your real leather piece may lose some oil. Therefore, you may want to dry it immediately or else it will be hard and breakable, thus some scratches will appear.
- By answering how to tell if leather is real, you should fill your leather items with paper to keep it from wilting and losing its shape. But remember not to put newspapers in there if you don’t want your luggage stained.
- You should clean or maintain your leather stuff after every use or on a regular basis with specialized cloth.
We are sure these tips are not included while the sellers are asked how to tell if leather is real. Thus, good luck with your leather bags.